Wednesday, August 29, 2007

No thanks, I don't drink!

"No thanks, I don't drink!" This was the phrase I used everyday during my summer in the DC metro area. Yet, instead of just being left alone, I usually received a puzzling look and then was either bombarded by a lot of questions about my non-drinking habits or urged to drink. The questions I don't really mind, but the look...come on now. Don't give me no dumb look when I tell you I don't drink, like I just committed a crime or something. Last time I checked, drinking isn't good for your body and me not doing that should be a good thing, but i guess to some it isn't. After telling someone this, the main question they always asked was "Why don't you drink?" I'm no stranger to this question so I already have a prepared response for that, "I don't have a need to, why do you?" I have a harsher response, but that's only for those future alcoholics.

For all my non-drinkers out there, this is very important. If your ever asked the question, "Why?" answer it, but always end with why do you? They never have a good response for it. I no I no, its hard to find other non-drinkers out there and hard to find fun places to meet new people. It's a shame. It seems like there's nothing that people can do without involving alcohol. Companies have sponsored happy hours on and off the job, social groups have sponsored bar nights, can't go to a party without there being alcohol or drunk people, can't even go to a restaurant with friends without people buying drinks. Seems like the only place to possibly find non-drinkers is church. But we're out there. We're just very...very hard to find.

Now I don't knock anyone that drinks, about 95% of my friends drink, and I got mad love for my friends. But that's cool, do what you do I'm not gonna judge you, but please if I say I don't drink, don't look at me dumb, respect it and let's move on. But if you can give me a great reason on why to drink, I would love to hear it.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Amen to that! As a non drinker I get tired of dealing with the same mess. People act like drinking makes the world go round or something and you're weird if you don't indulge. I just want to hit people when they give me that stupid look or make comments like, "Oh you're one of THOSE people..." Wtf is that sposed to mean?!

I've asked a few people why they drink and no one has given me a strong answer yet - because my friends do, because it's fun (smirk: I've had lots of fun without alcohol). One girl even told me that when she stopped drinking for a while , she lost some of her friends. People started being mean to her. In my opinion that's ridiculous. Those weren't real friends in the first place. Yet, nevertheless, she started drinking again. So sad...