Monday, July 30, 2007

No They Didn't: Part I

Now, I know I’m not the only one that has experienced the following situation. You’re walking, minding your own business, when you notice someone else walking in the opposite direction towards you. As ya'll start to get closer, you glance over at the person, make eye contact, and then politely say "Hi." What happens next is something that just ticks you off. The person, who makes eye contact with you, does either or all of the following:
1. Doesn't say "Hi"
2. Quickly turns their head in the opposite direction of you or down or
3. Looks you dead in the face without saying anything to you.

WTF! I don't know about ya'll but I hate when this happens and it happens all too often. Now, I no I’m not looking at them mean or anything, because I say "Hi" with a smile (and I have a nice smile might I add), but I don’t know, maybe the thought of a 6'3" black man saying "Hi" is threatening to some people. Sad thing is, it's not just white people that don't say "Hi" but black people too. Usually it's women but still, if someone is politely saying "Hi" to you, how hard is it to say something back, or at least smile? Just a couple of minutes ago, I was in this exact situation when I said "Hi" to a co-worker, and they said nothing back, just put their head down and walked on by me as if I didn't even exist. I was like "No this chick didn't..." Ok, now I can understand that sometimes, people talk softly, but come on ya'll. I know I’m not in this alone. On the real, I just feel like slapping the next person that does that to me, but that's not my style.

6 comments:

Natalie said...

I agree...this pisses me off too. If you're lookin in my face you might as well speak. People just don't realize how far a simple hello can go or how annoying it is when one isn't returned. In defense of the females who may not say it back, it could be because they think you're tryin to holla but I'm all about that southern hospitality and friendliness so in most cases I'll speak back.

R. said...

CHUUCH!! It not only happens to the tall NBA brothers...it happens to the lil skinny brothers to. I mean dang!! I dont think it cost anything to say "HI" The messed up part about it all is that same person who does not say hi...will be the same one bitching about someone not being nice to them or something like that.

As far as the ladies are concerned...I think its all in how u say Hi. I agree with the previous comment-they think dudes are trying to holla. But even if its the case, we do not mistake you saying hi back as u liking us...jus shows that u are nice. Also, acting stuck up hurt any chance that could have happened.(I hope all that made since)

Anonymous said...

You know why....this happens: Because people all too often are not confident enoguh to say hi to others, and people ASSUME that ohters dont' wanna be friendly.......i say that all us friendly ppl need to say hi and smile to ALL..and maybe this will make a differnece one by one.

Happens many times in the quiet workplace..keep on saying hi and smiling...it only makes the other person LOOK STUPID!!!!!!!! ;)

Anonymous said...

I don't say hi to anyone. I am unfriendly.

Anonymous said...

its people like you that create negative energy.

Natalie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.